The Truth

I haven't really shared a lot of details regarding how truly hard these past 14 months have been, but I guess I can start by saying that what I have gone through is something that I hope no one EVER has to experience. Sometimes it has literally felt like I went to hell and back, and then hell and back again. No part of this journey has been easy, but I've tried my best to focus on the happy in the midst of all the struggle.

We've been pretty vocal about the things that I have encountered during my illness, but there are so many things that I haven't been ready to share - until now. Writing this is one of the hardest things that I might ever try and write - thinking about it makes me tear up. As you may know, I had major surgery last week. I am so incredibly thankful for my wonderful surgeon, Dr. Petty, who, by operating on me, saved my life. I am not over exaggerating one bit by saying that he is the reason that I am alive. There was no way of knowing how bad things were internally, but by opening me up they were able to solve one BIG piece to this giant puzzle. Things were so severe that if we had waited longer for surgery, things could've ruptured and it could've been really bad. Thinking about it actually terrifies me - the fact that if we had listened to the doctors that told me that my symptoms were unrelated, then I could be dead. Luckily, my docs and surgeon from Wake Forest Baptist Hospital knew that what I was feeling was relevant and extremely serious.

Death has always been one of my biggest fears. It's so final. The thought that I could potentially die didn't really phase me until I heard about all that they found during surgery. Now that I know all that they had to fix and how severe it was, I have begun to think about all the "What Ifs" again. Thankfully, none of those "What Ifs" are going to be answered, because, as I've said before, I am in the right hands. I trust my current doctors with my life - and that isn't something that comes easily. I've seen so many doctors in the past 14 months, ones who have disappointed me, but also ones that have given me HOPE. For a while, I wasn't able to trust any doctor that I had, because I knew their initial diagnosis was invalid. Thankfully, I feel like every doctor here advocates for me and is worthy of my trust.

As you've probably read before, it took us a really long time to find the right diagnosis and to get to the right doctors. My parents, both of whom know me the absolute best, fought month after month to get a proper diagnosis. We just knew that it was something structural, NOT physiological. It took 6 months of fighting and pushing for every little medical exam to finally diagnose me with positional Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome (SMAS). It took us 3 months after that to find the right surgeon to fix my SMAS, and I am so grateful that we were able to get to Dr. Petty. Ever since we got to him things have gotten better - and sure we've had some setbacks, but I am not lying by telling you that things were still way better than before. Every single encounter with Dr. Petty has given me hope, something that had once before been crushed by so many doctors. Even though things went downhill after my first surgery (LADD procedure), my quality of life was still better than before. I was able to drink water again, and I was able to go to school and see my friends. And when things began to decline rapidly, guess who was there to get me through it? Dr. Petty. This man not only saved my life once, but he saved it again last week.

I have had plenty of doctors tell me that what I was feeling wasn't significant, but Dr. Petty is one of very few that really valued my thoughts and symptoms. He took the time to look into every little thing about my case, which was so essential because nothing about my illness could be based solely on what you might read in a textbook - it was too unique. The surgery that I had (on 1/31) was a big one, but I seriously couldn't have been in any better hands.

Often times people don't understand the importance of a good digestive system - I know before I got sick I didn't know how truly important it is. If things aren't working properly, it can be detrimental. They say that after I think 72 hours of not being able to eat your muscles begin to break down.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is so easy to get weak when you can't eat. I have had 437 days of weakness, but I have done all that I can to be as strong as I can. Losing weight quickly has been one of the worst things out of all of this because it means that you also get weak, dehydrated, and malnourished quickly. Dehydration, weakness, and malnourishment have been three things that I have fought the hardest to steer clear of, but in the past few months it was unavoidable. My digestive system was working HORRIBLY and there was nothing that I could've done to prevent it.  For a while we thought my body just had to heal from the first surgery & the 286 days leading up to it. Thanks to Dr. Petty studying all of the tests that he and Dr. Herrera (my new GI doctor) wanted done, they knew that surgery was the only solution.

When I got admitted here, at WFBH, I walked in sheet white. I was hardly even able to carry a small bag of stuff that I had packed. I was admitted a week before surgery, because my surgeon knew that things were only going to get worse. He knew that I needed to have enough nutrients prior to surgery to make things safe and successful. That's the main reason why I had to get a feeding tube and IV fluids - I was SO WEAK and dehydrated and it was not good. Getting the right amount of nutrients is seriously so important. My blood vessels had shrunk to accommodate the low blood flow and I had lost a significant amount of weight. It was scary.

Now that surgery is over, I am in recovery mode. It has been one of the most challenging things that I have ever had to experience. Since they found so many things during surgery, it has made recovery much harder than we all expected. It's been 10 days since surgery, and I thought by now I'd at least be able to have some jello or water. Sadly, I still cannot eat or drink. While the surgery fixed some serious issues, other functional problems have developed. Things were so bad prior to surgery and my system is weaker than we had anticipated. It has been so long since things were working normally, and it's just taking way longer to regulate everything. Everyday there seems to be a new problem developing. A family friend described it as a "wack a mole" - when you fix one problem, a new one pops up - and that is exactly how I would describe what I am going through.

On a more positive note though, I have made a lot of progress while I've been here. My nutrition is far better than before, thanks to my feeding tube, and my pain has improved a ton! So yes, there have been setbacks, but there has also been a LOT of progress, which I am forever grateful for.

Last year when I first got sick, I set one goal for myself - to be able to eat a little cake on my 17th birthday. I was so sick on my 16th birthday, and it was so awful. I was hardly able to walk because I was fainting. I also had a feeding tube. It was really difficult, but I really focused on how I would be better (hopefully) by my next birthday. In 10 days I am going to be 17 and all I want is to be able to have even a tiny bite of some birthday cake - something I can celebrate. At this moment, though, I'm not sure if that'll be able to happen - things are just taking a lot longer than we expected.

There have been a lot of things that I've tried so hard to keep my mind off of - things that I haven't shared. Hopefully by writing this, I might've opened your eyes to the little things that cross my mind every once in a while. 437 days of being sick is a lot - and I know I will never see the world the same again. But, that will be another post for another day.

(If you want to read a more detailed explanation of my illness and all that I have gone through, feel free to go and read my first blog post at the bottom of the home page! It is titled "MY STORY")


Comments

  1. Love you so much LewLew. We don’t know why this happened, but I do know that you are inspiring others along the way. Chin up - I can hear my dad say. And, “Cry a little - Laugh a lot” CR is shouting to us both. Maybe these two had to be in Heaven to give you the most strength now. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will recover LewLew. It is probably just slow because your body has been through so much and went into this latest surgery in such a weakened condition. I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing I think you are. You are so incredibly strong and upbeat. We are all pulling for you. You have so many close friends and family who love you. And yes! Thanks to your parents' persistence, you have terrific doctors. Let the healing begin! Sending you every ounce of love and good wishes that I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, Judy. We are so blessed. Funny back in the 80s I was just a crooked teeth kid roller skating by your house. Always remembered you were a science teacher and that I knew you had to be super smart - science was not my cup of tea then. Now, I spend more time than I ever thought I would studying every part of the human body that I think can help LewLew. And there you were swooping in to help us get her through Chemistry last year when she was so weak. It brings great comfort knowing we have your support as well as knowing that you will help us with APES when we get her well enough to do so. Hugs and we love you.

      Delete
  3. LewLew thank you for sharing your courageous fight against this darn SMAS! Both you and your mother have helped Joclyn and I more than you know. We all four have shared so many things these past few months........likenesses and differences in both you and Joclyns' medical cases. Thank goodness that both you and your mom have been so vocal about SMAS!!! If you had not been so vocal on social media our paths would have not crossed and Joclyn still may be waiting for a diagnosis!!! I remember your mom texting me and saying, "Ask your doctor's this and ask your doctor's that". And if she would have not pushed me we may still be sitting in our small hometown wondering what to do!!! So thank you for sharing your story and praise the Lord for your wonderful mom who continues daily researching and asking questions and sharing all the information she gathers with all of us who are up against the dreadful diagnosis of SMAS! Again, thank you young lady! Fight like a champion 💪 warrior that you are!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, Jolyn. What a fight we have had with SMAS. Much love to Joc.

      Delete
    2. Hi you doing lew lew just got done reading about you. I'm a big north Carolina fan too, just want to reach out to u and i hope you get better soon. I'll pray for u. P.S GO TAR HEELS 😁

      Delete
  4. Lew Lew - you are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing. You are getting so much love and support from many people. Even those you don’t know. Stay strong. We are rooting for you!! Xoxo, Teresa M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Thank you for sharing what you’ve been through so far. It has all been so scary and you have been amazingly tough. I’m so glad to hear that Dr. Petty continues to give you hope. I hope you find some strength from having so many people praying for and thinking of you. Hugs from Florida. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. LewLew, you are a warrior, you are loved, you are blessed, and you will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. “I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.”
    ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭130:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬
    You’ve come this far<3
    -Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lew Lew, your mom and I have several mutual friends and I work at Brenner . I recognized her on the elevator 2 weeks ago and since then I have been checking on you . my girls ( Amelia , 16, Caroline ,14) and I have been praying for you !!! Your courage and strength inspire all of us. Keep fighting . Never ever give up. You will get that bite of cake !!!! And know you have an army of warriors standing with you in this battle . You are not alone !!!!!! One day when you are feeling better we hope to meet you and celebrate with you !!😘

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful story. I hope and pray you get better everyday. I read this to my kids and it brought tears down their faces. What an inspiration to all. I have told everyone that the Tar Heel Family is real! This is a perfect example! God Bless You LewLew! #TarHeel Family, Chad Hickes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi lewlew I wish you the very best and I will pray for you and your family. Stay strong and GO HEELS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LewLew and family - You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. You are (as Roy likes to say about some of his players) "a tough little nut"!! You hang tough and believe you can beat this thing - we will believe with you. And yes, Go Heels!!

    Al - UNC '76
    Son of '42, Brother of '70, Dad of '05

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one Tarheel fan to another I am praying for you and you are a true inspiration. Stay strong and keep fighting. GO HEELS!

      Delete
  12. Young lady, you are an exceptional person and you deserve only the very best. Continue to be positive and good things will happen. My daughter also suffers with a debilitating illness but keeps me in good spirits. God and the Tarheels will get you through this l know it.
    A 1970 Tarheel grad

    ReplyDelete
  13. LewLew. As I myself try to recover from a problem that took my strength and walking ability. Came across Adam's story about you. Please know that you will be in my prayers. Keep fighting and remember this family goes a lot deeper than most. Go Heels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LewLew, I am truly sorry to hear about you. It breaks my heart to know someone as young as you are have to suffer so much. I will be praying that God will heal you. I know God still heals today, because I was heal of cancer in 2011. I also know what pain is too. I live in it 24 hours a day year round. I have had 5 back surgeries. I take 60 mg of time release morphine 2 to 3 times a day. I still work, and there are days I can't get out of the bed. I am self-employed and I repair farm tractors, combines, cotton pickers, and etc. for around 20 different farmers. There are days I do not know how I do work, but I thank God for them. I believe God will heal you and you will be in my prayers everyday from now.Please keep the faith and never giving up. May God Bless You! Go Heels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. May you find something that makes you smile each day. I hope that if it's not a "feel good" day, then that something else brings you joy. And may there be an ever increasing number of fell good days as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to the UNC family, so sorry to hear about your health issues but glad to see you ALWAYS have time for a smile of gold keep your head up, God bless & always remember WE are on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi LewLew. I am a huge fan of Adam Lucas and after reading his story on you, I just had to reach out. Your story of strength is truly inspirational. I hope you can appreciate how you are positively affecting people. I wish you strength and hope and, of course, many years of loving Tar Heel basketball. Go Heels!

    ReplyDelete
  19. By way of Florence SC, you are amazing LewLew, praying for your breakthrough.Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I graduated from Carolina in 1974. Just want you to know you are an inspiration to everyone connected to UNC. I’m sure Coach Willlams has referred to you when talking to his team about how to attack adversity. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LewLew wishing you speedy recovery. I have ulcerative colitis and know the pain from every day meals, then what happens when you start to avoid meals, and what it is like to have constant diarrhea.
    Thanks for sharing your story because people don't talk about GI disorders and that is a problem, your story will help get the word out, so people will realize, this shit is real....Go Heels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. After reading Adam Lucas's story about you, the word is out.Tar Heel fans everywhere will be cheering & praying for you to recover!

    Go LewLew & Go Heels!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just read the article on goheels.com by Adam Lucas about your story. Keep fighting, you will be in our prayers. And GO HEELS! We will be thinking about you Wednesday night1

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reading the article on goheels.com i already admire your courage and toughness. Best of luck to you and i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I suffered a knee injury in early December that has had me sidelined from things i love to do since then. I know though that in a month more or so i will be back to normal, doing all the things that i can do. You have shown more courage and acceptance than i ever could in a situation far worse than what 99.999 % of people have to go through. Go LewLew ! you are my newest hero.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a huge Tarheel fan as well. I can only imagine what you are going through I retired after 26 yrs in the Marine Corps and being shot at can not be as hard as you living with a disease. You are an inspiration to us all that the love your family has and the love from UNC can help you fight this and win. Lots of prayers for you and your family Lewlew you can beat this. TAR.......

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so proud of you LewLew if i could I'd bring you a birthday cake Roy Willams is great man glad he came to see you a few years ago i overheard a little boy in my bakery saying his birthday was coming up so i gave him a cupcake then the man standing behind him came forward to thank me and shake my hand it was Roy Willams well you keep smiling and fighting we are praying for you get better so you can go see our Tar Heels play i know it's a boost to have you cheering for them

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy early birthday LewLew. Sending you prayers and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Our strength is in the Lord. May Be give you strength and make His face shine upon you.
    Praying for your healing
    Go Heels!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hang in there LewLew.
    UVA fans are pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi LewLew and family. I cannot even begin to imagine what you and your family have gone through. I learned about your story through an article on insidecarolina and just wanted to let you know we're all rooting for you!! Sending love and best wishes from the coast! Get well soon, and go heels!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just knew about your story because of UNC. Like you I am a big fan of the basketball team. I have two daughters (15 and 17) that are fans too. We live in Puerto Rico and as you may know a big hurricane hit us. As you have shown resilience we do too. In life we encounter difficulties but the difference in how we handle them is by attitude. We choose how to overcome, I see it as two choices either face it or sit and do nothing. Nobody can decide but you. I admire and respect your way of handling this. I will share your story with my daughters because it’s inspiring and I know they will learn from your experience in life. As parents we try to teach and tell about life but stories like yours are the ones that makes them realize how powerful is to be positive and grateful with the opportunity to be alive. Keep going, we believe in you!! Our prayers and best wishes for you and your family. Dios te bendiga.

    And Go Tar Heels

    ReplyDelete
  32. God bless you and speed your healing! Sorry for your troubles. Roy and Wanda are friends of mine too. They're great people.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi LewLew, sending you prayers & lots of TARHEEL LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You're amazing LewLew, sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi LewLew! Just read the story by Adam Lucas, and I am touched by your courage and strength! I will pray for you and your family, and keep on being amazing!! We'll be cheering on those Heels together!!
    Love from South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear LewLew,

      My name is Troy Sykes from Leasburg, NC . I admired you how you've been so positive through your ordeal. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been easy! I'm really glad you found doctor's that has help you to get better . I'm been struggling with Dr's for the last 5 months, why I have been hurting. That's why I can relate to you in some way. Keep fighting to better @ all the happiness comes your way! So let's get better @ see you in the crowd of a UNC cheering. Forever a tarheel fan like you .
      " Best Wishes "

      Delete
  36. Sweet LewLew, I am so happy your story is spreading for the public to see. Unfortunate though it may be that your little body is having to fight this hard. Your smile has ALWAYS been infectious. So for the world to see and hear about it through the lens of the beautiful penmanship of Adam Lucas brings me joy.

    You may not remember me by name. I'm the volleyball official who has watched you group up on the court, season-by-season. The first game I had at ECHHS this past fall, I ran into you though you were not in uniform. Even then, you played your sickness off ever so slyly. You are a gifted, beautiful, strong human being. I am proud to say I know you.

    Keep fighting! We're all out here cheering for you. And, on Wednesday, we'll make sure to scream extra loud with you. As if it were possible.

    Hugs, Callie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dear LewLew,
    Thanks for sharing your story. It's hard to be sick and feel so weak for so long, but you have a lot of people cheering for you and your undeniable spirit. I've been through some tough times myself, way younger than I ever thought I would go through something so tough, but I made it through thanks to the people who love me. Keep fighting the good fight and hold those family and friends close!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just read your story, and I am amazed by how strong you are. You have been faced with the unimaginable, but you never let it get you down. Being positive is half of the battle, and you have already won. I will be praying that you are completely healed soon, and have the chance to have a normal life from here on out. I know you are an inspiration to anyone who reads your story, and you have a lot of people fighting for you, stay strong! ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you Dr. Akinkuotu

LIFE UPDATE: 10/8

National Feeding Tube Awareness Week