FEELING GOOD.

For the first time in 2.5 years, I can confidently say that I am feeling GOOD.

My system is FINALLY working properly (especially now that we released those angry nerves being compressed by my Median Arcuate Ligament). I mean picture this: all of the nerves that supply your digestive tract are wound around SO tight that they do not work. Trust me, this messes with more than you could ever imagine.

For so long my "normal" was trying to cope with an injured sympathetic nervous system. Weakness, bloating, fainting, shortness of breath, constant nausea and pain every time I ate or drank, and an inability to maintain weight. These were all some of the many things that I experienced pre-MALS surgery. Safe to say that my "normal" wasn't easy. So for me to say that I am feeling genuinely GOOD is something worth celebrating.

Fixing my SMAS compression gave me the ability to eat and drink small amounts again. But unfortunately, it did not rid me from the pain and agony that comes with having neurogenic MALS. It's important to note that you HAVE to fix both in order to get better.

Recovery has been a mountain for me to climb, but I feel like I'm getting closer to the top every minute. I am now able to eat dinner with my family without having to bend over on the ground - I can just sit at the table peacefully with them. I'm still eating small amounts of food at a time (partially due to my cautious nature) but we are slowly increasing my intake. I am now able to eat some foods I never thought I'd be able to do again. My dad got me a gluten free, dairy free blueberry muffin (from Fresh Levant Bistro in Raleigh) and I was able to eat the WHOLE thing. And it was so GOOD.

Part of me is a little hesitant to mention my successes, as I've had so many setbacks along the way. But, I am choosing to stay hopeful and positive. It hasn't let me down yet. My surgeon did tell me that this surgery was a HUGE success.

It's taken a LONG time for me to get here and there's still a ways to go, but I am so happy about the progress I've made. Cheers to feeling GOOD!

Comments

  1. Love you so much! 3 times is a charm 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration, LewLew! Your journey is now and will continue to touch so many lives! You remain in my prayers for continued improvement! You are never alone...God is with you always as well as all the amazing family and friends that continue to support you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you Dr. Akinkuotu

LIFE UPDATE: 10/8

National Feeding Tube Awareness Week